Payment Request forms
In order to receive your Truman Scholarship funding, you need to:
- formally request your funding by completing Steps 1-5 below;
- be current in your reports to the Foundation; and
- submit any required supporting documentation.
Scholars should count on a minimum of six weeks from submission of the completed Payment Request Form to receipt of payment provided all other documentation has been received. Unless requested in writing and approved by the Foundation, the transfer of funds will occur no earlier than three weeks prior to the tuition and fees due date for which Foundation support is requested.
Start Early! Several factors contribute to the receipt of your Truman funds. You need to anticipate:
- The time it takes your institution's financial aid officer to complete the Educational Expenses and Support Form (this varies greatly);
- The time required to complete the Payment Request Form after you have collected the Educational Expenses and Support Form from your financial aid officer (about 30 minutes);
- The time it takes to gather supporting documentation including a transcript or enrollment transcript; and
- The time it takes the Truman Foundation and General Services Administration to process your payment after all relevant paperwork is complete (at least 6 weeks - but it can take longer during the end of the fiscal year in September/October or during federal holidays).
To Begin Your Payment Request:
Step 1. Gather your paperwork
- Make sure you have an approved graduate study proposal and are current on your annual reports.
- Obtain a transcript or other proof of enrollment (such as a receipt of deposit or enrollment form).
- Have your school complete the Educational Expenses and Support Form (EESF)
- Complete the Payment Request Form (PRF). You may use the worksheet and instructions but do no need to turn these into the Foundation
- Obtain your bank account information and complete and Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) form.
For the second or third payment of an academic year, please provide:
- A Payment Request Form.
- An EESF form or Direct Deposit form only if there have been changes from the forms that you filed in the beginning of the academic year.
For the second or third payment of an academic program, you will need:
- An approved annual report.
- A current transcript (unofficial is acceptable).
- An EESF form completed by your school.
- A Payment Request Form.
- A Direct Deposit form.
Step 2. Give the Educational Expenses and Support Form to your Financial Aid Officer
You should complete Part I of the Educational Expenses and Support Form; your Financial Aid officer completes Part II. This step could take several weeks, depending on the accessibility of your Financial Aid officer. This form should reflect the expenses for the academic year, not term. If your expenses are different from the average student at your institution, you should have your Financial Aid officer complete the form with this in mind. All scholarships and grants must be listed in Item 9. Loans can also be included but will not be factored into your award from the Foundation.
You will need a separate form for summer study. You may use the same form for fall and spring study if your expenses and aid stay the same. This form must be completed before you can progress to Step 3.
Step 3. Complete the Worksheet for Payment Request Form
This form requires careful attention to detail to be completed correctly. Transfer this information to the Payment Request Form. Completing these two forms takes approximately 30 minutes.
Step 4. Fill out the Direct Deposit/EFT Enrollment and Change Form
All scholarship payments are made via electronic funds transfer. If the information on this form is incorrect, you will not receive your payment. If your bank account information has not changed and you have received a payment in the last 12 months, you do not need to complete this step.
Payments can only be made to Scholars, therefore your name must appear on the checking account. Payment is not made directly to your school, so you are responsible for ensuring funds are delivered to your institution.
Step 5. Send the completed forms to the Truman Foundation
You may fax (202.395.6995) or email forms. Please use this email link to send your forms so that we can locate them more efficiently.