Please read the following travel guidelines carefully:
The Foundation will provide round-trip airline or bus transportation from the Scholar's home (or school, if still in session) to Kansas City International Airport for Scholars who do not live close enough to Kansas City to drive. The Foundation does not cover the cost of parking, ground transportation to or from the airport of origination, or luggage fees. For Scholars who wish to drive to TSLW, see Private Travel Costs below.
General Guidelines for Airfare:
- Truman Scholars traveling to Truman Scholars Leadership Week should make their airline reservations through Manassas Travel, the Foundation's travel agency.
- Scholars should wait until an email from the Foundation prompts them to make their reservations, but adhere to the deadline in that email. Scholars who do not make their travel arrangements within this time period will be responsible for the cost of their airline tickets.
- Travel will be at lowest cost to the Foundation and might require change of planes or less convenient departure times.
- Scholars must contact Manassas Travel by email. Please send your: name, date of birth, gender, city/airport, email address, phone number, seating preference, and preferred departure time.
Air Arrival/Departure Guidelines:
Scholars should travel on May 19th and on May 24th unless prior approval is given by the Foundation.
- Scholars should arrive at Kansas City International Airport no later than 2:00 pm on Tuesday, May 19th.
- Scholars should schedule departure no earlier than 3:00 pm on Sunday, May 24th.
- When contacting Manassas Travel, Scholars need to be prepared to fly at anytime on these dates. If this will be impossible, please contact Kelsea Cooper for approval before e-mailing Manassas Travel.
Transit to and from Kansas City International:
William Jewell College will operate a free mini-bus shuttle service from Kansas City International Airport (MCI) to the campus. These vans are white and marked with the college name and logo. William Jewell College students will meet each Scholar at the terminal and will be holding signs that say either 'William Jewell College' or 'Truman Scholars.' If you do not see someone with either of those signs, stay at your gate and wait for someone to arrive. Do not search for a William Jewell van; this will disrupt the pick-up schedule. If no one has arrived to meet you within 30 minutes of your arrival or if your flight is delayed and you will arrive after 2:00 p.m. CDT, please call Tracy Hart at 816.415.5963.
Private Travel Costs:
Scholars traveling by private vehicle will be reimbursed at the rate of $.20/mile up to the cost of government airfare for a round-trip ticket. Advance permission from Kelsea Cooper is required for Scholars proposing to travel more than 500 miles (one-way) to TSLW. Scholars driving vehicles to TSLW are not permitted to use their vehicles during the week. Scholars driving to TSLW must arrive by 2:00 p.m. on Tuesday, May 21st. Parking is provided.
Questions regarding travel:
Please direct all other questions regarding travel to Ellen Dunlavey at firstname.lastname@example.org.