To enhance prospects for advancement of your candidates, the Foundation encourages you to make sure that each one:
- Shows sustained service to the campus community [Item 2], to the community at large [Item 3], and possibly some government involvement [Item 4]. One or more service activities should relate to the candidate's intended career.
- Demonstrates leadership to achieve some goal or objective in Item 7. The Letter of Recommendation on Leadership must confirm this experience.
- Makes a clear connection among responses to Items 9 through 13 and the Policy Proposal.
- Identifies a specific graduate school and shows some understanding of the proposed graduate program in Item 11.
- Describes in Items 12 and 13 a credible career in public service that is consistent with the response in Item 9.
- Contains an interesting or intriguing response in Item 14 and explains motivation for career interests unless covered previously. The Advice & Guidance section provides examples of satisfactory and unsatisfactory responses to Item 14 as well as to Items 7, 8, 9, and 11.
- Avoids poor writing or sloppy presentation.