"Let no day pass without discussing goodness and all the other subjects about which you hear me .... examining both myself and others .....
Life without this sort of examination is not worth living," [Plato, The Last Days of Socrates]
The Trustees require an annual report from each Truman Scholar who expects to receive support in the coming year, or who has deferred Foundation support and expects to receive support in future years. This report keeps the Foundation up to date on Scholar activities, accomplishments, growth and interests. Sometimes it enables the Foundation to match Scholars with interesting opportunities. The Foundation protects sensitive or confidential information in the report.
A typed report in the form of a 750-1000 word carefully prepared letter to the Executive Secretary should be entered into our website by July 15. It should contain the following:
- Reflections on growth and development during the past year;
- Public service and community activities and, if enrolled, school activities over the past 12 months;
- Plans for the coming year (including education emphasis and major courses to be taken in the coming school year if enrollment expected);
- Full-time, part-time or summer employment;
- Current career and public service interests and ambitions;
- Other items of interest (receipt of fellowships, publications, awards, travel).
Any Scholar who is nearing the end of his or her four years of automatic deferral should include a separate section of the annual report that includes the Scholars' request for additional years of deferral. These requests will be considered and responded to by the Executive Secretary.
The Executive Secretary generally provides a personal response to each Annual Report via email. His response may take several months, please be patient.
Remember to include your name, year and state of selection and current email address on all Scholar reports.